Life Group Questions
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Read the entire story of John 11 that deals with the raising of Lazarus from the dead. List at least four observations from the text. What are some major issues or topics that stand out to you. What impresses you most about the story?
3. What is the significance of Jesus having authority over death? What does this authority indicate about His status and identity (cf. John 10:17; Acts 2:23-24; 2 Timothy 1:9; Revelation 1:17)? How does the authority of Jesus impact us as Christians (cf. Romans 6:23; Acts 13:48; John 5:25-29; 1 Thessalonians 4:14)?
4. What are some difficulties faced by people in this story as a result of Jesus commanding them to remove the stone? What could have been some logical or realistic objections to this command? Describe a time when God directed you to do something that did not make sense. How did you know that God was the one directing you? What should be our response in times like these?
5. In verse 40 Jesus told Martha “if you believe” you will see the glory of God. In what way was the faith of Martha related to seeing God’s glory? Did all those who were present during this miracle see the glory of God (cf. 46)?
6. What does it mean to see the glory of God? In what way does this miracle specifically reveal the glory of God and how is Jesus related to that revelation? Have you ever experienced the glory of God? Explain.
7. List at least four ways in which the resurrection of Lazarus demonstrates how salvation is of the Lord alone and not the result of man’s works. What was Lazarus able to contribute to the act of his salvation? Being that we were all “dead,” in our sin, how does our salvation resemble the act of Lazarus’ resurrection?
8. What is the significance of Jesus involving other people in the process of this event – the resurrection of Lazarus? How can we apply this principle to our own walk with God? How does God want to use you in His kingdom work?
9. Jesus raised Lazarus from the dead, unbound him from his grave clothes, and set him free. In what way(s) has Jesus done the same for us? In what way are we still awaiting the work of God in this regard?
Macedonia Baptist Church / 10481 NC 42 West, Holly Springs, N.C. 27540 / (919) 567-3460