Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Do you think we as Christians understand the capabilities of God? Why do we so often underestimate His care and abilities? Describe a time when God did something amazing in your life? What did He reveal to you about Himself?
3. Describe the significance of John telling us that this story took place in the midst of one of Israel’s feasts? How does the idea and events of the feasts relate to what Jesus did here? Why do you think John did not tell us the specific feast?
4. Do you think that John 5:3-4 should be included as Scripture? Why or why not? What differences do you see in some of the English translations with respect to how they handle these verses? Does this cause any difficulty for you? Explain.
5. Our key statement for this passage was, “Our God is willing and able to do wondrous things.” Do you believe this statement is true? Explain. Do you think that God still desires or carries out wondrous things comparable to the one in this passage? Explain.
6. Read the following passages and describe Scripture’s teaching on the greatness and power of God: Psalm 40:4-5; 77:11-15; 86:8-10; 147:3-6; Genesis 15:5; Habakkuk 1:5; Isaiah 1:18; Ephesians 3:20. How should these passages challenge and encourage us?
7. Describe the predicament of the crippled man in this story. What are some factors that added to his disappointment and hardship in life? Can you relate to any of these factors with respect to your own life? Explain.
8. How did the crippled man in this story lack in his spirituality? Do you think that his hope was in an appropriate source? Where was he possibly off track in his thinking? Have you ever found yourself looking and hoping for remedies to your hardship(s) in the wrong places? Where should we find our source of comfort?
9. Describe what John wants us to know about Jesus Christ as a result of reading this passage. How and where do you feel that God wants to work in your life? Is there anything that you wish God would do in your life? Do you think it is permissible to ask God for things? Explain. Pray and ask Him for wisdom and direction.