Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Why do you think that God required more than one witness for a testimony to be legally binding (cf. Deuteronomy 19:15)? What did Jesus mean by stating that if He testified alone, then that testimony was not “true”? What the validity of Jesus’ witness dependent upon other people? Explain.
3. What evidence can and/or do you provide when somebody questions the existence of God? What evidence do we have pointing to God’s existence? How do we know for certain that Jesus Christ is the Son of God? Provide evidence.
4. What was the testimony of John the Baptist concerning Jesus Christ (cf. John 1)? How did people respond to John’s witness? What did Jesus mean by stating that He had a greater witness than John’s? Was John’s testimony lacking? Explain.
5. Describe the testimony of the Father for the Son (cf. Matthew 3:17, 17:5; Mark 1:11, 9:7; Luke 3:22, 9:35; 2 Peter 1:17). What are we to learn about the Son of God from the Father’s witness? How should the testimony of the Father encourage us?
6. Define and describe the meaning of “Scriptures” as used in John 5:39. What does it mean to search the Scriptures? Describe how you search the Scriptures. Describe a topic that you recently searched in Scripture? Explain how people can search the Scriptures and still miss it’s meaning or message.
7. What are some of the works of Jesus Christ that help us understand His identity and purpose? How do our deeds and works help others see who we are and to whom we belong? How do our works provide encouragement and/or conviction to ourselves? What works are you doing for the Kingdom?
8. List some things that Moses wrote concerning Jesus Christ? Do you believe that Moses had Christ in mind while writing the Pentateuch? Explain. Describe some of the similarities and difference between Jesus Christ and Moses.