Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Read the different Gospel accounts of this story of Jesus walking on the water (Matthew 14:22-27; Mark 6:45-52). Describe the differences and similarities in the Gospel accounts. What is unique about John’s presentation? What purpose is John trying to achieve?
3. In what way does this story help us to see Jesus as a prophet like Moses? Do you consider it appropriate to liken the work of Moses bringing Israel across the Red Sea with Jesus walking on the sea? Explain why or why not. Note that Jesus takes the disciples to the other side to the land which they were going (vs. 21).
4. Why do you think John presents the miracles of Jesus in such a simplistic and brief manner (cf. 2:19; 4:50; 5:8; 6:11; 19)? Have you ever found yourself overlooking or underestimating the power and miraculous ability of God? How can we grow in our awareness and awe of His power?
5. Why do you think Jesus allowed or even directed the disciples to experience this difficulty? What might He have wanted them to learn from this experience? What benefit did they experience by going through the difficulty? What troubles in life are you experiencing and how might God want to use them to help you grow in faith?
6. Describe the meaning of fear? From where does fear come? On what basis and by what right did Jesus command His disciples not to fear? Do you ever struggle with fear? What does fear and anxiety indicate about the measure of our faith and trust in God? Pray and turn over any fear you may have to the Lord today.
7. Describe the situations in this story where Jesus is absent from the disciples and then where He is present with them. How did the presence of Jesus change the story? How should knowing that He is always with us help diminish our fear and frustration? Do you struggle with recognizing God and His presence in your life? Take some time to pray and ask Him to help you see His care for your life. Pray thanking Him for His power to work the impossible.