Life Group Questions:
1. If you were not able to hear this week’s sermon, consider going to the church website and listening to it. What are some main ideas that you gathered from the sermon? What, if any, questions did the sermon cause for you or do you desire to have additional clarification?
2. Describe what you believe the Bible teaches concerning the use of alcohol. Do you think that it is okay for Christians to drink alcohol? If so, are all forms of alcohol permissible (e.g., wine, beer, liquor, etc.)? If comfortable, share your own practice with this issue.
3. Do you believe that Jesus actually made wine at the wedding in Cana? Do you think that it was truly wine like we have today or something different. List at least three observations concerning John’s story of Jesus turning water into wine.
4. Why do you think that Jesus did His first sign, or miracle, at a wedding? What are some of the significant aspects of weddings/marriages in Biblical teaching (cf. Matthew 9:15; 22:1-19; Luke 14:8; Revelation 19:7)?
5. What connection might there be between Jesus transforming water into wine and the story of Moses in Exodus 7? How is Jesus like Moses (Deuteronomy 18:15)? In what way is Jesus a better prophet than Moses? What other transformational acts does Jesus perform?
6. Why do you think that the mother of Jesus is not named in this passage? Why do you think that she asked Jesus to become involved in this wedding situation? What do Mary’s actions tell us about her thoughts concerning Jesus?
7. Some see the response of Jesus calling His mother “woman” as abrasive and rude. Do you agree with this idea? Why or why not? What did Jesus mean by saying that His hour had not come yet? How is this statement used with regard to Jesus in the New Testament?
8. Describe the reaction of the people to Jesus when He gave the command about the water pots? How should we learn from their actions? What was the result of their response to Jesus’ command?
9. According to verse 11, what was the real reason for which Jesus performed this sign? Describe what aspect of His glory was manifested as a result of this miracle. What does it mean that the disciples believed in Him?